The Complete Moodle User Guide
Plagiarism Plugins for Moodle
The internet has drastically changed the way we access and publish content, and it has also changed how we steal it. In minutes, learners can buy essays online, hire a contract essay writer or copy and paste unattributed text into their papers. Plagiarism is the serious byproduct of our modern technology world. In order to address these issues, Moodle has introduced a number of plagiarism prevention tools that are widely used by schools and education. Here are the top plugins for plagiarism prevention in Moodle.
Turnitin Plagiarism Plugins
Turnitin is a plagiarism prevention and detection system used by secondary schools and higher education institutions. Currently, there are some Moodle plugins that work with Turnitin in Moodle. These plugins integrate with the existing Moodle Assignments module.
- Turnitin Plagiarism Plugin—This plugin is fully supported by Turnitin, and can be activated in other Moodle modules to check for plagiarism throughout them. For example, you can use this plugin to check for plagiarism in Moodle forums, Moodle quizzes, Moodle blogs and anywhere else learners might be posting work.
- Moodle Direct Plugin v2—This is a standalone Moodle module that maps assignments submitted in Moodle, with assignments in Turnitin. Once they are mapped, all submissions are checked for any changes. In this case, you can log into either system to access the assignments.
Vericite is a simple and cost-effective tool that identifies possible plagiarism immediately. Vericite makes it easy for instructors to tackle plagiarism without making it a primary focus of their course.
Web Conferencing and Virtual Classrooms
Lambda Solutions includes plugins to make web conferencing with Moodle possible by allowing for easy and seamless integration with third-party web conferencing service providers. A selection of third-party solution providers for web conferencing is available. Note that some of the third-party services may require a paid for account to be able to fully use the software.
Web Conferencing Service Providers with Plugins
- Adobe Connect—Web Conference software capable of sharing video, audio, screen sharing, webcam and presentations including whiteboard capability. Compatible with desktop and mobile viewing.
- Zoom.us—Web Conference software capable of sharing video, audio, screen sharing, webcam and presentations including whiteboard capability. Compatible with desktop and mobile viewing.
- BigBlueButton—Open Source Web Conference software capable of sharing video, audio, screen sharing, webcam and presentations including whiteboard capabilities.
- WebEx Meeting—Web Conference software capable of sharing video, audio, screen sharing, webcam and presentations including whiteboard capability. Compatible with desktop and mobile viewing.
Media Integrations and Services
Lambda includes plugins to make media based content in Moodle possible by allowing for easy integration with third-party media solution service providers. Note that some of the third-party services may require a paid for account to be able to fully use the software.
Media Solutions Service Providers
All of the media solutions listed below offer an organization a streaming media solution capable of uploading video and audio, as well as managing access to content. Each service provides different levels and ways of integrating with Moodle.
MEDIAL—If you face the challenge of your users uploading large video files to Moodle on a regular basis then the MEDIAL Moodle video streaming service is for you! The integrated service allows Instructors/Lecturers to upload video or audio files to MEDIAL directly from Moodle using a specific MEDIAL Activity which then creates a link to the video or audio file on the Moodle course page. Medial is Lambda’s preferred media solutions provider because of its integrated experience with Moodle and value added services. Through Lambda’s strong relationship with MEDIAL, clients are able to get access to special deals and service offerings.
Kaltura—Kaltura’s Video Package for Moodle makes it easy to add the robust capabilities of Kaltura’s open source online video platform to a Moodle site. The package integrates with Moodles features and modules, such as resources and activities, so that users can upload and embed media easily.
JW Player—JW Player provides video professionals with powerful and flexible technology for reaching viewers, growing audiences and perfecting your video strategy across all screens. JW Player offers a cost effective entry point for organizations to start using and managing streaming media; however, the JW Player service lacks the tight integration with Moodle that both MEDIAL and Kaltura offer. Overall the JW Player service allows for an organization to upload and easily manage video content. After upload to JW Player, videos can be linked back to a Moodle course by copying the media URL into a resource.
Panopto—Panopto provides an easy way to manage, live stream, record and share videos across your organization in your Moodle site.
Moodle Ecommerce Plugins
Time and effort put into the development of eLearning programs is significant. This has moved many organizations to put pressure on learning departments to become either cost-neutral or profit centers. In other words, courses developed need to be sold and for this reason many educational institutions have created continuing education departments and courseware. To help facilitate this, there are many Moodle Plugins to help you do so. PayPal was the first eCommerce plugin that enabled transactions directly from Moodle but now there are additional integrations that provide modern online payment options.
The Moodle Paypal Enrolment plugin allows you to administer courses that have to be paid for before access is provided. The Moodle Paypal plugin must be added by an administrator or manager and an individual price can be added for the course. If operating on Moodle 2.5 and onwards, all currencies supported in Paypal can be set. When a user clicks to access the course through a course link, they will be redirected to a Paypal page that prompts them for payment. Once payment is complete, both learner and instructor will be notified and access is automatically given.
LMSCheckout is a storefront software for Moodle that lets you sell courses and enroll learners—from single courses for consumers, to group packages for partners and customers.
Lambda Solutions provides complete services for the eCommerce integration and a themed instance of LMSCheckout. In just a few steps, LMSCheckout can be easily integrated with your organization’s Learning Management System so you can go to market quickly. LMSCheckout integrates with major payment gateways to provide seamless transactions for a variety of course purchase types, including one-time sign-ups and subscriptions, for any type of training program. With this software, you have full control over all branding elements of your storefront, from logos, fonts and colours, to headers and footers for a complete, branded eCommerce presence.
Course Merchant is a 3rd party eCommerce integration designed for Moodle to enable you to sell, market and manage courses online. This eCommerce integration for Moodle provides all features that users would expect to see when shopping online. The sophisticated shopping cart is capable of processing tax, multiple course selection options, and providing fields for flexible discount voucher/coupon codes.
Additional features include:
- Instant student enrollment with single sign-on access to courses upon successful purchase
- Multiple payment gateways supported
- Bundled products to enroll a learner into multiple courses in a single purchase
- Multiple-seat purchasing for corporate buyers with self-service seat allocation
- Configurable registration fields to capture registrant data for various systems
- Single seat purchasing with instant or delayed enrollment
- Options for custom and offline payment like ‘Pay by Invoice’
- Set seat limitations on courses and enable a wait list when they go “sold out’
- SugarCRM and Salesforce.com integration with shopping cart and LMS