November 20 2014

Mobile Learning: How Advanced is your Organization?

Written by Lambda Solutions

Our Adaptive Learning Guide
Get instant access below
Download Now

digitalchalk-3-myths-of-mobile-learningMobile learning—if your organization hasn’t begun to think about it, research indicates that it’s time to start. Statistics from the PewResearch Internet Project tell us that as of January 2014, 90% of American adults own one or more cell phone, 58% of American adults own a smartphone and 42% of American adults own a tablet computer. As these numbers continue to rise and as mobile devices become ever more ingrained in our daily workflow, organizations who invest in mobile learning programs will have a leg up on those who do not. For a robust learning management system that integrates mobile learning, check out what you can do from a mobile device with Totara. If you are unfamiliar with mobile learning let us explain.

According to the eLearning Guild, mobile learning is defined as “Any activity that allows individuals to be more productive when consuming, interacting with, or creating information, mediated through a compact digital portable device that the individual carries on a regular basis [and] has reliable connectivity”. Thus, mobile learning in the workplace includes any activities an employee can engage with on their phone that contributes to learning objectives.

A survey administered by the Brandon Hall Group found that in 2014, 73% of organizations us mobile learning in some shape or form. The remaining 27% of organizations do not use mobile devices for any type of learning. Interestingly enough, even though nearly 75% of respondents indicated that they use mobile learning, only 21% of organizations have a formal mobile learning strategy. In their research, the Brandon Hall Group also found that high-performing organizations (HPOs) have formal mobile learning strategies and are experiencing increases in both revenues and key performance indicators (KPIs). While success was not directly related to mobile learning programs, the Brandon Hall Group did find that HPOs had the following assets:

  • A formal mobile learning strategy
  • An integrated learning plan than incorporates mobile web and apps into their LMS
  • Content that is accessible through mobile devices
  • Engaging and effective mobile content
  • A well thought out and mature mobile learning model

Therefore, moving towards a more mature mobile learning model, the Brandon Hall Group highlights six key factors that indicate where an organization is on the mobile learning maturity model. Organizations who are the advanced end, have achieved a mobile learning Model that is fully optimized. This means they have successfully achieved what follows:

  • A mobile learning strategy that supports the current learning curriculum, that provides autonomous learning opportunities and that considers the collaboration between both internal and external stake holders (customers and partners).
  • Content Architecture that is advanced both in delivery and form. This includes passive and interactive learning, and smart apps that support mobile specific content in Flash and HTML5.
  • An Admin/User Environment that has responsive design, technical support requirements, and resources for the development and delivery.
  • Channels that allow users to connect to the LMS, LCMS, CRM, CMS and social media from their internet connected mobile device.
  • Connectivity that enables full wifi access and mobile virtual private networks (mVPNs).
  • Devices—users can connect to learning platforms through any device (laptops, PCs, smartphones, tablets etc.).

If you read through that list and recognize that your organization has few or non of the components that are in a mature mobile learning plan, you are not alone. Only around 20% of organizations are actually there. If you are looking for direction to get started with the system infrastructure required in a robust mobile learning model, contact one of our experts today. Additionally, check out our webinar on how to extend LMS capabilities with video and multimedia.

Watch Now

Maximize Your Revenue, Efficiency & Learning Effectiveness